This overview serves as an outline of what to expect in the 2023-2024 Emerging Leaders Program. We will be tailoring the program to best suit the needs of our participants, including webinar dates and content. There will be additional, optional networking and professional development opportunities. The program will require a commitment of approximately 2-3 days per quarter.
- Accepted applicants fill out a detailed questionnaire to help SWCS staff tailor the program to meet their needs. They will be asked about their career challenges, leadership traits they admire, and what professional skills they would like to develop.
Module 1: You as a Leader
- Program kickoff webinar
- Define what leadership means to you and identify your leadership style.
- Receive tools to serve as an SWCS leader – organization information, social media templates, and more!
Module 2: Conservation Events Planning
- Virtual Conservation Events Planning Workshop
- (Optional) Join SWCS staff in virtual work sessions where you can bring your events planning questions as they come up.
Module 3: Host an Event
- Put your leadership and events training into practice and host a conservation activity in your area. SWCS staff will support you with resources and local contacts.
- Events may be networking socials, field days, workshops, or any other type of event that will benefit the leader in their role. Often, leaders will already have to plan events as part of their job responsibilities, SWCS will support you in the planning process.
Module 4: Program Recap
- (Optional) Join SWCS at our 79th SWCS International Annual Conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (July 21 – 24, 2024). Participate in conference events planned just for our Emerging Leaders (complimentary registration to program participants).
- Update your resume and online presence with support from SWCS staff and partners.
- Reflect on the program and your experiences gaining leadership skills, expanding your professional network, and hosting a conservation activity.
- Graduate from the program and continue your leadership through SWCS with your new skills and network.
This schedule is subject to change.