Our mission is to foster the science and art of natural resource conservation.
The Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS) is the premier international organization for professionals who practice and advance the science and art of natural resource conservation. We believe sustainable land and water management is essential to the continued security of the earth and its people. Our goal is to cultivate an organization of informed, dynamic individuals whose contributions create a bright future for agriculture, the environment, and society.
Who We Are
Our community of more than 2,000 conservation leaders represents nearly every academic discipline and many different public, private, and nonprofit institutions around the world. Our skilled members include researchers, administrators, planners, policymakers, technical advisors, teachers, students, farmers, and ranchers, all who share the common goal of building a more sustainable future.
SWCS members lead at the chapter level to tackle critical conservation issues of regional and local significance. Chapter events and initiatives engage members in field tours and other learning opportunities, provide a network of experts in the area, and educate local leaders regarding environmental issues in their communities. Members of student chapters on university campuses participate in activities that foster their interests in natural resource management and prepare them for successful professional careers.
- Passion for stewardship and sustainability. We are driven by our desire to help conservationists and land managers identify and implement the best conservation systems to protect soil and water resources and to achieve global sustainability.
- Commitment to science. We value and promote the use of data-supported and fact-based science to advance conservation.
- Respect for people and cultures. We recognize the success of our mission relies upon people whose cultures and livelihoods are deeply connected to the land as well as consumers of food and fiber produced. We seek conservation solutions that will benefit and improve the quality of life for all people.
- Focus on community. We believe our greatest strength lies in uniting people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas to inspire leadership, collaboration, and innovation within the conservation community.
- Promise of integrity. We promise honesty, transparency, and accountability in all interactions with members, partners, and the public as we work to fulfill our mission.
What We Do
- Advance knowledge. SWCS’s exceptional publications, projects, and programs advance conservation science and the development of effective and sustainable management practices.
- Support learning. SWCS provides high-quality educational opportunities, training, and technical resources that equip conservation professionals to achieve excellence.
- Foster communication. SWCS shares important conservation news and research, and empowers conservation professionals to lead the discussion of natural resource conservation.
- Advocate. SWCS advocates for conservation professionals and their work, and promotes science-based conservation practices, programs, and policies.
- Build community. SWCS connects conservation professionals and partners in an active, supportive, and welcoming community.
Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The Soil and Water Conservation Society denounces the systemic racism, discrimination, and inequality that exist today. Racism, discrimination, and inequality of any kind go against SWCS’s core values, which include respect for people and cultures, and the unification of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. SWCS seeks diverse voices, actively listens, engages in dialogue, thinks critically, and takes meaningful action toward creating institutions and systems that serve and value people equally. Our goals for the world’s soil, water, and other natural resources cannot be realized without justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We expect justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion to be a component of all projects.
2024-2027 SWCS Strategic Framework
Our 2024-2027 Strategic Framework outlines our outputs and outcomes we strive to achieve to make an impact in conservation through the conservation professionals we serve, represent, and foster. It directs our efforts toward projects with the most significant impact, drawing from our past successes, lessons learned, and the ever-changing landscape of the conservation industry.
2022-2023 Annual Report
Our 2022-2023 Annual Report (PDF) provides an overview of the past year's efforts and activities to promote natural resource conservation and support conservation professionals.
Download SWCS bylaws (PDF). For chapter bylaws, please visit a specific chapter's website or contact chapter leaders.
Soil and Water Conservation Society is a 501(c)(3) organization. Your gift is tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Federal Tax ID Number (EIN): 42-0716340