The awards program of the Soil and Water Conservation Society is designed to recognize individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions in advocating the conservation of soil, water, and related natural resources. It is the hope of the SWCS Awards Committee that as many members as possible be fully considered for these awards.
The award category selection key will help you place your nomination in the awards category that best fits the nominee's accomplishments. Please answer the questions sequentially until you are led to the appropriate award. Incorrectly placed nominations will not be considered for recognition.
Ultimately, it is up to the person completing the nomination form to take the time and invest the effort necessary so that award committee members can see, hear, and feel the depth and breadth of the nominee’s impact on conservation. That is why the Awards Committee has drafted this list of tips for completing a nomination form.
- Start work on you nominations at least one month in advance of the deadline.
- Expect to have at least two drafts of a nomination.
- Have a group of persons work on each nomination. Have each member read and suggest edits and corrections but have one person responsible for making final changes.
- Proofread the final draft and double-check all information for accuracy, completeness and legibility.
- Carefully review the eligibility and criteria requirements; make sure the information supplied answers eligibility and criteria questions comprehensively.
- Use as many quantifiable specifics as possible (i.e., quantify the period of service, the number of persons served, the scope of the impact on conservation in some measurable fashion, etc., whenever possible).
- Quotes from peers or clients may be of value in demonstrating how a nominee meets or exceeds award criteria.
- At the same time, be concise. Entries need not be lengthy for a nomination to have merit. Attach additional pages only if necessary.
- Be sure all materials are enclosed in one package.
- Do not submit any materials that you need returned.
- Do not submit photographs, scrapbooks, spiral-bound documents, videotapes, CDs, DVDs, or audio-cassettes. They will not be forwarded to the award committee.