In 1978, friends and associates of Kenneth E. Grant established a scholarship program in his name when he retired as administrator of the Soil Conservation Service. The Kenneth E. Grant Research Scholarship provides financial aid to members of SWCS for interdisciplinary graduate-level research on a conservation topic that will extend the SWCS mission of fostering the science and the art of soil, water, and related natural resource management to achieve sustainability. SWCS actively promotes multidisciplinary research.
The complete application, including letters of recommendation and any additional supporting documents, is due by 11:59 PM Central on March 16, 2018.
One research scholarship between $300-$500 is anticipated to be awarded in 2018.
The research topic receiving special emphasis for this scholarship for 2018 will be "Culture, Climate, and Conservation." This topic is consistent with the 2018 SWCS International Annual Conference theme. Research proposals should be interdisciplinary and should show the use of an investigative methodology demonstrating a knowledge of the relationships between disciplines and suggest an approach to integrating this knowledge into action. Other research topics in natural resources conservation will also be considered. Both these proposals should be interdisciplinary as stated above.
An applicant for the research scholarship must:
- Be a member of SWCS for at least one year by the scholarship due date, as recognized by headquarters,
- Have demonstrated integrity, ability, and competence to complete the specified study topic,
- Be eligible for graduate work at an accredited institution, and
- Show reasonable need for financial assistance
- The recipient of the 2018 scholarship will complete the investigation by June 2019. An interim progress report will be submitted to the SWCS in January of 2019 with a final report submitted to the SWCS by June of 2019.
* Members of the SWCS Awards Committee and their immediate families are not eligible.
- To apply, please provide responses to questions in the online application and provide any additional materials.
- Attach a proposal (three pages maximum) that supports completing a specified research project related to this year's research topic (see above).
- Attach a budget for the project in the application. Included in the proposal should be material supporting the applicant's ability to meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- The scholarship application can be filled out and submitted electronically.
- All supplemental materials including proposal and budget can be uploaded during the online application process, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to (515) 289-1227, or mailed to:
Soil and Water Conservation Society
945 SW Ankeny Road
Ankeny, IA 50023
The Society’s Awards Committee will evaluate and rank applications. Recommendations will be presented to the Board of Directors for final approval. Recognition of all scholarship recipients will be made at the Soil and Water Conservation Society International Annual Conference.
Email email@example.com or call us at 1-515-289-2331 ext. 114.