The Harold and Kay Scholl Excellence in Conservation Award recognizes individuals who creatively and effectively provide technical assistance in conservation planning and plan application. Recipients of the award will be recognized at the Society's annual conference with a plaque and a one-time cash award. The number and value of awards will depend on the annual income from the Scholl fund.
Application and supporting materials are due by 11:59 PM Central on March 16, 2018. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Nominee must be engaged or have been engaged previously in employment for which the principle responsibility is personally providing direct technical assistance to landowners, communities, or units of government.
- The award may be given to Society members or nonmembers.
- No elected officer of the Society or Board member shall be eligible for the award while holding office.
- No immediate SWCS employee and immediate family members of the selection committee shall be eligible for the award.
- Recipients of other SWCS awards and/or scholarships are eligible for this award.
Specific Criteria for Consideration of Award Nominees
- Demonstrated effectiveness and creativity in conservation planning and technical assistance.
- Demonstrated dedication to serving landowners, communities and units of government though direct and personal delivery of conservation assistance.
- Length of work.
- Results of work or assistance – provide before and after results:
- Changes in soil quality,
- Changes in water quality,
- Changes in land use conversions to non agricultural uses,
- Changes in wildlife populations,
- Changes in aesthetic values,
- Changes in community economics as a result of service,
- Community attitude changes,
- Results achieved through voluntary efforts of land users versus regulations.
- Impact on co-workers as a result of teaching/training others while providing services.
- Nominations shall be made by submitting the nomination questionnaire and any information requested in the nomination questionnaire.
- Nominations will be accepted from individuals, governmental, and non-governmental organizations and agencies and other appropriate sources.
- Nominations must be submitted to the local SWCS Chapter for review. Each Chapter may submit up to two nominations to the SWCS Awards Committee annually.
- A supplemental narrative may be beneficial to address the above specific criteria.
All supplemental materials can be uploaded during the online nomination process or materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to (515) 289-1227, or mailed to:
Soil and Water Conservation Society
945 SW Ankeny Road
Ankeny, IA 50023
The Awards Committee will evaluate and rank nominations. Recommendations will be presented to the Board of Directors for final approval. The award will be presented at the annual meeting or elsewhere as designated by the Board. No more than one award will be presented per year.
Contact (515) 289-2331 ext. 114 or email email@example.com.