In 1978, friends and associates of Kenneth E. Grant established a scholarship program in his name when he retired as administrator of the Soil Conservation Service. The Kenneth E. Grant Research Scholarship provides financial aid to members of SWCS for interdisciplinary graduate-level research on a conservation topic that will extend the SWCS mission of fostering the science and the art of soil, water, and related natural resource management research.
Application and supporting documents are due by April 24, 2020. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- One research scholarship of $500 is anticipated to be awarded.
- The application form is to be filled out and submitted electronically. All supporting materials are to be uploaded in the online application.
The research topic receiving special emphasis for this scholarship for 2020 is "Expanding Horizons: Where Conservation Meets Innovation." This topic is consistent with the 2020 SWCS International Annual Conference theme. Research proposals should be interdisciplinary and should show the use of an investigative methodology demonstrating a knowledge of the relationships between disciplines and suggest an approach integrating this knowledge into action.
Other research topics in natural resources conservation will also be considered. Both these proposals should be interdisciplinary as stated above.
- Applicants must be a member of SWCS for at least one year prior to the application deadline.
- Have demonstrated integrity, ability, and competence to complete the specified study topic.
- The recipient of the 2020 scholarship will complete the investigation by June 2021. An interim progress report will be submitted to SWCS in January 2021, with a final report submitted to SWCS by June 2021.
- Show a reasonable need for financial assistance.
- Members of the SWCS Awards Committee and their immediate families are not eligible.
- Provide responses to the questions within the application.
- Provide a research project proposal (three pages maximum) that supports completing a specified research project related to this year's research topic (see above). Included in the proposal should be material supporting the applicant’s ability to meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- Provide a proposed research project budget.
- Project proposal and project budget are to be uploaded in the application.
- The Awards Committee will evaluate and rank applications. Recommendations will be presented to the Board of Directors for final approval. Recognition of all scholarship recipients will be made at the Soil and Water Conservation Society International Annual Conference.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 515.289.2331 ext. 112.